Friday, October 19, 2012

Tour de California!

One of our favorite things about moving around with the military is the opportunity it gives us to explore a whole new corner of the world.  For instance, although Edwards AFB in the Mojave Desert is extremely desolate and not exactly the most idyllic of locations in the world to live, many of the places just 2-5 hours away are some of our favorite in the world! For the families who live there, that have never been to California before, it has so much to offer!

Although living at Edwards did not necessarily allow us to see many new places, as our time in California began to diminish we became progressively more aware of our desire to take advantage of the plethora of paradises California embodies. Not until we move back to California one day will these places ever be as accessible for us to enjoy! Which is why we had to make one last road trip up the California Coast before we PCS'd to Colorado this past summer!

Eric actually planned this whole trip himself which makes it all the more impressive. We had agreed that before we moved we needed to take a trip up the coast and he used my 27th birthday as his opportunity to surprise me with one amazing vacation.

It went a little something like this:

Eric kicked off our road trip by plopping an itinerary in my lap. I was filled with excitement when I read that our first stop would be Paso Robles wine country! We stayed at the cutest little bed and breakfast in Templeton. And even cuter were the innkeepers! Upon arriving they opened a bottle of red and laid out a spread of cheese and crackers for us to enjoy as they explained the surrounding area and gave us their local recommendations.




Two thumbs up for AJ Sprurs in downtown Templeton. Complimentary after dinner drinks make us happy and it was in walking distance for our B&B!


I had packed an array of adorable outfits for our trip up the coast. Of course, I never wore any of these adorable outfits because my husband had the grand idea that we should bicycle from winery to winery. Alas, looking cute and bicycling do not go together. We pedalled 15 miles up and down rolling hills, panting and sweating, laughing and smiling in the shining sun and cool wind. It was so much fun! I didn't care that I was a sweaty disheveled mess. The workout was an added bonus!


We stopped for lunch at Farmstand 46




After two nights in wine country we took our road trip up the California Coast through beautiful Big Sur, CA! So picturesque!



We ended up in Monterey for dinner and shopping! Then continued on to the sleepy coastal fishing town of Moss Landing. It was pure relaxation and beautiful scenery.




Not a bad way to start off my 27th year, right? I'm only glad I could get this post in before I turn 28! ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment